Wednesday, January 9, 2013

The Impossible Review


Another movie on my list of "need to watch before Sunday" was The Impossible. This is the story of a family who is separated by the 2004 tsunami in Thailand. It stars Naomi Watts and Ewan McGregor, as well as three amazing children actors...who I don't know their names because they have been in fuckall. 


The Impossible tackles a really tough subject in a really great way. I don't even know where to begin with all of my praise for this film. Director Juan Antonio Bayona has the impossible (pun intended) task of capturing just how horrific the tsunami is and what kind of toll it had on the lives of people in the area. There were so many beautiful shots throughout the film that I had to ask myself who this guy was and why I didn't already know of him (the answer was: he's Spanish, so fuck him.)


Along with the great (but sometimes bogged down) script, The Impossible delivers some gut wrenching performances from all involved. It seems like Watts has been getting the most attention, but I think that McGregor's performance was just as good. I think Watts is getting more attention because a lot of her scenes are just really hard to watch. The injuries she sustains in the tsunami are not for the squeamish. And her interaction with her eldest son (played by Tom Holland) was fantastic. That brings me to my next point: all of these kids were just phenomenal (especially the previously mentioned Holland.)  

_______________________________________________________________________________

I would definitely suggest anyone see this movie if they are looking for a tear-jerking, beautifully shot, inspiring film. I'm not gonna lie, I cried a couple of times. It was that good. 

Writing: 6/10
Directing: 8.5/10
Acting: 9/10
Pacing:  6/10
Rewatchability: 6/10

Score: 7.1/10

No comments:

Post a Comment