Monday, January 14, 2013

Sound of My Voice Review


I know I'm late to the party on this one, but I just got around to seeing this movie a few nights ago! This movie is about a couple, Peter and Lorna, who embark on an investigative journalism project where they infiltrate a small cult. Their goal is to prove that Maggie, the leader of the cult, is a fraud.


At a mere 85 minutes, Sound of My Voice manages to suck you into the lives of these two faux-cultists and show you the mental strain that comes with, not only investigative reporting, but also being in a cult. The movie was really well written and has some phenomenal dialogue. So many scenes come to mind, but I really don't want to spoil this movie for anyone. Let's just say that Maggie has some great monologues.


The direction in this film was absolutely key, since it mostly takes place in a white room with nothing special to look at. All of the scenes were really well framed and close-ups were used in just the right way to make them pop (Tom Hooper could learn a thing or two from this film.) I was really impressed with how well this movie was shot. It was surprisingly beautiful, especially for an indie film like this.


The best part of this movie, though, was the performance by Brit Marling as Maggie. This was the first time I had ever seen her in a movie (and even heard of her, for that matter) and I was caught off guard by her. After watching this movie, I almost wanted to join her cult; she was that convincing. She blew me away, and I can't wait to see her in more films!

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

I can't say enough about how much I loved this film. It was the perfect length (which to me, is a huge thing nowadays), as well as an excellent script, great director, and one of the best performances of the year. I would highly suggest not watching any trailers or doing any research before seeing this movie. Just go see it and enjoy it for what it is. I can't recommend this movie more highly.


Writing: 8/10
Directing: 8/10
Acting: 8.5/10
Pacing: 8/10
Rewatchability: 9/10

Score: 8.3/10

No comments:

Post a Comment