Thursday, January 31, 2013

Salmon Fishing in the Yemen Review




One of my favorite things about watching movies is experiencing movies without any foreknowledge of the film. I did that a couple of times in the last few days with films like Duplicity, Robot & Frank, Kill List, and Salmon Fishing in the Yemen. I feel like knowing nothing about films going in makes the experience so much better and much more immersive. I fully intend to review at least one of those movies in the future, if not two. But for now, I just want to talk about Salmon Fishing.


The movie is about a fisheries expert (Ewan McGregor) who is recruited a financial advisor (Emily Blunt) to bring salmon fishing to the Yemen desert, at the behest of a sheikh. That is the best way to describe it, and, if I may toot my own horn, is a pretty damn good description. The movie is way more than that basic description, but I think that is a great basic plot overview.


I always find it fascinating when a book like Salmon Fishing is adapted into a screenplay. The book is written in a diary/article format (which I've come to learn is called an epistolary novel.) I absolutely applaud anyone who can adapt a book like that and make a fluid and understandable screenplay out of it. I still cannot phathom how Christopher and Jonathan Nolan adapted The Prestige from a similar format, and this movie is equally as baffling. The story is really well written, and all of the plot threads seem to flow so fluidly between each other. Not all plot threads are important to the overarching plot of salmon fishing in the Yemen desert, but they all contribute something to the story or to character development. I'm really impressed with what Simon Beaufoy did with the source material. I think it was an excellent adaptation.


The direction for this movie was really nothing special. It isn't bad direction, it just isn't great. I really didn't notice anything going on with the camera or anything (I was far too busy fawning over the script and acting.) The direction definitely did not detract from the film, so that's a plus. I just wish it had been utilized better to...fuck it. I don't care enough to talk about this anymore. 


The acting in this movie was definitely the selling point for most people who saw this film. I mean, Ewan McGregor and Emily Blunt. Both eye candy. Both excellent actors. And neither disappointed. While I don't think that this was either of their best performances of the year (that being The Impossible and Your Sister's Sister, respectively) I thought they were both quite moving. I really loved McGregor's character arc and watching how he portrayed such a drastic change over time. 

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Overall, this movie was surprisingly good. I can honestly say I wasn't expecting anything amazing from this film, but was pleasantly surprised. It really hinges on several strong performances (not just the two I mentioned; everyone was great) and a really well adapted screenplay. Everyone should see this movie (especially if you want to freak out when you see Varys with hair; I nearly shit my pants.) 


Writing: 8/10
Directing: 6/10
Acting: 8.5/10
Pacing: 6.5/10
Rewatchability: 7/10

Score: 7.2/10

No comments:

Post a Comment