Friday, April 5, 2013

The Incredible Burt Wonderstone Review



I'm starting to think this whole writing reviews thing is getting bad for my health. I've already seen some horrendous movies this year solely for the purpose of writing reviews on them (see my review of Identity Thief and Broken City if you don't believe me.) I vaguely remember saying in my Identity Thief review that it was the worst movie of the year: sadly, I was horribly mistaken.


The Incredible Burt Wonderstone looked, on the surface, to be a mindless comedy that would have  one or two hilarious scenes, and then be shit otherwise. I could not have been more wrong. There wasn't a single part of this movie to enjoy. Just the concept on it's own seems like a terribly stupid idea, then you add on some terrible writing and atrocious acting, and you have the perfect storm of shit.


I really don't know where to start, so let me just say this: whoever wrote this movie needs to be put down. Seriously, there wasn't a single piece of dialogue in this film that even made me chuckle. It's really upsetting to me when people go from writing great, hilarious material (Horrible Bosses) then follow it up with completely unfunny drivel. This script isn't worthy of the actors that read it...but when you watch it, you might tend to think it's the other way around.


The acting in this movie was awful. I can't even begin to explain how bad it was. I don't know if the actors were just like "this script is awful, so I'll just phone it in and still make good money," or if the director was telling them to be overly campy or something, but it was ungodly. Steve Carell made me want to drill a hole in my skull. And let's just talk about all the wasted talent in this movie: Steve Buscemi, Olivia Wilde, Jim Carrey, James Gandolfini, ALAN FREAKING ARKIN! All they did was get a bunch of talented actors and have them play awful characters with poorly written dialogue, carrying out a half-assed story.


------------------------------------------------

Sometimes I tell people: "Wait until it's out on DVD" or maybe "Wait until it's on TV" but this movie is a serious "Don't waste your time." There wasn't a single redeeming quality about this movie; strike that, there wasn't even a single redeeming scene in this movie. This was one of the worst movies that I have actually sat through, and will never sit through again.

Writing: 0.5/10
Directing: 1/10
Acting: 0.5/10
Pacing: 1.5/10
Rewatchability: 0/10

Score: 0.7/10

No comments:

Post a Comment