Monday, February 18, 2013

Rant of the Week: Star Wars and JJ Abrams

Since the new Star Wars trilogy has been in the news for the past few weeks, I thought it was only right that I address it in some way. So I decided that it would be my rant this week.

Let me start by saying: Episodes VII, VIII, and XI were absolutely inevitable. Anyone who thinks they were never going to happen is insane. Lucas said a long time ago that he was going to do a trilogy that takes place after Return of the Jedi, and here we are. Just because he isn't involved doesn't make it any less happening. So...suck it.

That being said, let me talk about just how I feel about it. I'm hesitant to say I'm excited about this, but I can't say I'm upset. I absolutely love the Star Wars franchise, even the prequels. Don't get me wrong, the prequels are not good movies, but they are great Star Wars movies and have some great character development of characters we already loved. And even though they aren't as good as the original trilogy, they are much better than some movies that I've seen. They are good enough to watch again, so they can't be that bad.

A lot of people are speculating about what this movie could be about and what story they are going to adapt. But they have since said that this is going to be an original story. So, let's all stop speculating. We will see some of the characters that we love, because they know we want to. We all know that Harrison Ford has already signed on for Episode VII (yes, Han signed first.) And we are all excited to see Ford back as our favorite space smuggler, but I highly doubt he will be one of the main characters. This isn't going to be able Luke going to the Dark Side, and it probably won't be about Jacen Solo going to the Dark side, either (though I wouldn't be surprised if Jacen and Jaina make an appearance.) This is going to be a completely original story with some familiar characters involved.

A lot of the guys at work think that the worst part of this idea is having JJ Abrams at the helm. To them I say:  ha! JJ Abrams is the perfect person the bring life back into this franchise. Remember back in 2009, when he made Star Trek cool again? Or back in 2006, when he saved the Mission Impossible franchise after the abysmal John Woo film? This man was born to revive movie franchises. And with him directing, a lot of people are speculating that Michael Giacchino will be scoring the film. While I do love Giacchino, and I would love to see what he could do with William's themes and elaborating on them...I'm hesitant to say I'd be excited about that. I mean, it's not like Williams is dead or anything. He has scored all six of the previous films, what makes you think he won't come back? I think he deserves to be offered the chance, and if he declines, then Giacchino can come in and knock it out of the park, like he usually does.

So, I guess what I'm trying to say with all this is that I am cautiously optimistic. I will be able to say a lot more when I know what characters from the extended universe will be in the movie and who will be cast, but for now I'm just happy that I will see more Star Wars films in my lifetime. What do you think? Think they should stick to arc that have already been written? Think Abrams is a bad choice? I'm interested to see if I'm in the minority (like I am at work) or the majority.

No comments:

Post a Comment