Sunday, February 24, 2013

Final Predictions

Since the Oscars are tonight, I want to lock in all my predictions. I went back and watched a couple of the films in the last few days to see if any of them would change my opinion, and I've read a lot of articles about what movies should win, and I think all of this information has swayed me on a few categories. Don't worry, this won't be a long article, I will only talk about it if my prediction changed. Let's get started.

Best Picture* - Argo. After watching the movie again today, and looking back on all the awards it won (Best Picture at the Golden Globes, SAGs, BAFTA's and Critics' Choice, as well as a slew of Best Director wins for Affleck.) I no longer think the snub in Best Director will effect it's chances at best picture.

Best Director* - Steven Spielberg for Lincoln

Best Actor - Daniel Day-Lewis for Lincoln

Best Actress* - Jennifer Lawrence for Silver Linings Playbook

Best Supporting Actor - Tommy Lee Jones for Lincoln. (Though I'd rather see Waltz take it home.)

Best Supporting Actress - Anne Hathaway for Les Miserables

Best Original Screenplay* - Mark Boal for Zero Dark Thirty (I'd still rather see Tarantino win.)

Best Adapted Screenplay - I'm really torn between Argo and Lincoln still. It's a coin flip for me, so I'm going with Lincoln.

Best Animated Feature - Wreck-It Ralph. It's the only one I loved, and I just can't bear to think about the other ones winning.

Best Foreign Film* - Amour

Best Cinematography - Roger Deakins for Skyfall. I don't care if I'm wrong, I just really want him to win.

Best Editing - William Goldenberg for Argo.

Best Production Design - I want to say Anna Karenina, but I don't think enough people saw it. So, I'm going with Lincoln.

Best Costume Design - Anna Karenina.

Best Hair and Makeup - The Hobbit: An Unexpected Journey

Best Original Score - Alexandre Desplat for Argo

Best Original Song* - Adele for "Skyfall" from Skyfall

Best Sound Mixing - Les Miserables (almost entirely due to the live singing.)

Best Sound Editing - Skyfall. This tends to go to action-y/loud movies. When you look back at the movies that won (Inception, Hurt Locker, Dark Knight, and Bourne Ultimatum) you can see that Skyfall has a great chance of taking this.

Best Visual Effects - Life of Pi

Best Documentary Feature* - Searching for Sugar Man

Best Documentary Short* - Open Heart

Best Animated Short - Paperman

Best Live Action Short* - Curfew

So, that's it. I hope I get at least half of them right. This is a great year for nominations. Most years by the day of, a majority of the categories are easily predicted, or down to two frontrunners. This year, there are only a few categories that are 100% locked (Best Actor and Best Supporting Actress.) Oh, and if you were wondering, the asterisks mean that I haven't seen all the movies nominated in that category. 

No comments:

Post a Comment