Monday, May 13, 2013

I Give It A Year Review



I feel like I've talked a lot on this blog about how starting this blog has led to me seeing a lot of movies that I probably wouldn't have even heard of, let alone seen. This past weekend I watched two of those movies...and really liked both of them. Both of them I heard about through the website that I talked in depth about a while back. I saw a few people review the movie and give it generally positive reviews, so I gave it a chance.


I Give It A Year is a fun rom-com in the same realm as Love, Actually. It follows the story of Nat (Rose Byrne) and Josh (Rafe Spall) at the start of their marriage. The whole film revolves around the concept that the first year of marriage is insanely difficult, and this one is exacerbated by the fact that they get married after only 7 months of dating.


Like I said, the movie really feels a lot like Love, Actually. It is a story that is really about the concept of "there is someone out there for everyone." Yes, even the severe asshats out there deserve someone. I found that this point was really well shown by the various different characters that were strewn about in this film. We are introduced to so many different personality types, which really helps the film drive in its point. I think it especially helped that they made me really hate one of the main characters, but almost like him when he finally gets his shit together.



You won't believe me if I tell you that this movie was written by the same guy that helped write Borat and Bruno. This movie feels nothing like the other films that he has worked on. This movie isn't offensive, but a really interesting and insightful view on relationships and how we deal with our choices in terms of our love lives. I found the dialogue to be very witty, and the situational humor to be excellent.


I thought the acting in this film was great. It was filled with actors that I don't see often enough like Rose Byrne, Anna Faris, Stephen Merchant, and Simon Baker. And they all delivered brilliantly. The casting was really spot on where we get to have Baker playing the brilliant, handsome business man, and Faris playing the hilariously sarcastic activist. All of the characters were very written, and even more well-acted.


------------------------------------------------

The entire time I was watching this movie, I was trying to figure out why the main character was such a douche. I really hated him from the first minute, and it made the movie a little harder to enjoy. But once I understood what the movie was trying to do, it made it a little better. It was a funny, cute rom-com that I will definitely watch again. 


Writing: 7/10
Directing: 6/10
Acting: 7.5/10
Pacing: 6/10
Rewatchability: 6.5/10

Score: 6.6/10

No comments:

Post a Comment